Helpful Tips For Grooming Dogs At Home
As a dog owner, one of your responsibilities is to keep your dog well groomed. Unfortunately, getting your dog to the groomer is not always easy. In some cases, your dog may have anxiety about going to the dog groomer, making the experience extremely stressful for both of you. In other cases, the added expense of paying for someone else to groom your dog may be too much.
Grooming dogs at home is a simple alternative. It is possible to keep your dog clean and well cared for without ever having to visit a professional dog groomer. Here are some tips to make the process of caring for them easier:
1. Break the grooming down into small sessions. Dogs generally do much better sitting for short periods of time rather than for long, tedious grooming sessions. For instance, you might choose to shampoo your dogs for one day and then trim their claws the following day rather than doing both on the same day.
2. Get assistance. Oftentimes, the grooming process is far easier if you have someone around to help. Ask another family member to give a hand. They can help keep your dog calm and can hold them steady when necessary, making the process a whole lot easier.
3. Use products that are specifically formulated for dogs. A lot of people make the mistake of using shampoo that is designed for humans on their dogs. In general, this is a bad idea. Instead, you should look for dog shampoos that are specifically formulated for canine use.
4. Use lukewarm water. Avoid using water that is too hot or too cold for baths. Instead, opt for lukewarm water that is comfortable to the touch. That way, the experience will be far less jarring for your dog, minimizing the stress associated with bath time.
5. Regularly brush your dog’s fur. Invest in high-quality dog grooming tools that are designed specifically for the type of fur that your dog has. Regular brushing can help prevent knots and tangles from forming. It can also help remove dirt and debris, keeping your dog’s coat cleaner between baths.
Hopefully, these helpful tips for grooming dogs at home give you the information that you need to take care of your dog on your own. A trip to the dog groomer is not always practical or necessary. Instead, you should be able to take care of most of your dog’s needs without ever needing to leave home.